Alumni from St. Ann's School, Lansford, held their final reunion on Aug. 28 at LaCasa Dolce, Tamaqua. Approximately 100 people attended the reunion traveling from as far as Colorado.
St. Ann's School opened in the church basement on Aug. 24, 1917 with the Rev. Hugh J. Bowen serving as the first pastor.
In 1921, the Rev. James B. McGarry became the new pastor at St. Ann's. He began making plans for a new school. St. Ann's parish purchased the property of Edward Thomas at 40 E. Bertsch St. and on May 10, 1924, a contract was signed to begin the construction of a new school.
The first graduating class of St. Ann's School was June of 1927. These students were the first to finish a full four years at St. Ann's. In 1954, the last high school class graduated and the parish high schools consolidated, creating Marian High School.
St. Ann's was one of several schools that in 1982 became Our Lady of the Valley. The school is being converted by Catholic Senior Housing into subsidized apartments for lower income older people.