A Washington Township man had to be rescued from his burning home Friday morning.

The fire was first reported about 8 a.m. at a home at the intersection of Freiden's Road and Route 873. When fire fighters from Lehigh, Northampton and Carbon counties arrived on scene, they found flames rolling from the second floor windows and a man trapped on the roof of the dwelling.

After he was rescued, the man was treated by area paramedics but refused medical attention. Route 873 was closed for several hours.

According to reports from the scene, the man may have placed hot ashes in a container of kitty litter.