A youth living in Shenandoiah was found guilty by a jury of sexually assaulting a 13 year old Shenandoah girl after a one day trial held Tuesday in Schuylkill County court.

Evon Rodrigues, 20, was found guilty of two counts of indecent assault and one count each of statutory sexual assault, aggravated indecent asssault, indecent exposure and corruption of minors. His sentence was deferred by President Judge William E. Baldwin, who presided, who ordered a pre-sentence investigative report prepared by the adult probation department.

Rodrigues did not testify in his own behalf and throughout the trial complained he did not understand the proceedings. He does not speak English.

The court provided him with an interpretor but he claimed the dialoigues were different and he could not understand. However, under questioning by Baldwin outside of the jury's presence before the trial began, Rodriguez did not complain about the proceedings held before a magistrate. Prosecuting Assistant District Attorney Karen Byrd Noon argued to the court a delay would be very expensive to the Commonwealth because her witnesses were ready to testify. Baldwin ordered the trial to proceed telling Rodriguez he can interrupt at any time he didn't understand.

After the verdict Rodrigues was returned to the county prison to await sentence since he has not been able to post $500,000 cash bail fixed by the court. U.S. Immigration and Customs officials have a detainer against him since it was discovered Rodrigues entered the country illegally from Mexico.

Testimony by a composed victim, now 14 years of age, was that the assault took place last August in Rodriguez's apartment in Shenandoah..

Case dismissed

Judge Charles M. Miller dismissed assault and terroristic threats charges against Dean Loren Elliott, 42, of Schuylkill Haven, after the victim, Christopher Whalen, was unable to tesitify as to events which he had previouisly claimed transpired.

The trial began before a jury on Monday but Whalen claimed medication he had taken caused a loss of memory and since no evidence was presented Elliott was set free.