Of the Head Start programs studied:
·94 percent of Head Start programs served some fruit each day, other than 100 percent fruit juice, and 97 percent served some vegetables each day, other than fried potatoes;
· 54 percent did not allow soda or other vending machines for staff use;
· 96 percent did not keep children sitting for more than 30 minutes at a time;
· 90 percent of programs limited television or video to less than 60 minutes each day;
· 89 percent had an on-site outdoor play area at every center; and
· 56 percent of programs provided children with at least 60 minutes each day of unstructured physical activity in addition to the 30 minutes each day of adult-led physical activity.
Source: The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation